Thursday, July 28, 2011

Five Movies I Drop Everything To Watch

I forget that when I don't have anything pressing to write about - and even when I do - there are always reliable go-tos. Specifically, other people's blogs. I believe I've already ripped off borrowed from a couple. Today's post idea comes courtesy of The Pioneer Woman, whom I've just started reading, so congratulations, me, on making it to 2008, Internet Time.

What was my point? Oh yeah - five movies I drop everything to watch.

1. The Philadelphia Story

Let's just ignore that whole misogynistic gender-role nonsense and get on with the good stuff, okay? "CK Dexter Haven! OH! CK DEXTER HAAAAAAVEN!" Greatest scene ever featuring both Cary Grant and James Stewart. Did you know the burp and response was ad-libbed? Perfection. And the lines: "The right time to make up your mind about people is never;" "Doggone it CK Dexter Haven! Either I'm gonna sock you or you're gonna sock me;" "We all go haywire at times and if we don't, maybe we ought to." Love.

2. Little Women

I'm cheating a little here, since I'll accept the Katharine Hepburn as Jo version, but prefer the Elizabeth Taylor as Amy one. Sidebar: How did I not know that was Janet Leigh? Oh yeah - I've never actually seen Psycho. Anyway, I re-read the book every few years and will always watch the movie. Mom gave me a copy of the when I was young and didn't understand why a person might wear one glove and carry the other - I'm still working on that one, truthfully. And I still have the book.

3. Gone With the Wind

Carol Burnett was my introduction to the green-velvet-curtains-as-dress scene, but I learned quickly to appreciate the original. (Burnett introduced me to Mildred Pierce, too; I really need to see her version again now that I'm more familiar with the movie.) The length of GWTW is a bonus - no matter where you come in, there's at least another hour to watch. The scene with the horse-drawn wagon under the bridge always gets me, not to mention the idea of eating before one goes to a barbecue. As God is my witness, I'll think about that tomorrow.

4. Moonstruck

"Rich as Roosevelt" has made a home in my regular speech, as has "you have such a head for knowing." I love this movie down to the shade of lipstick Loretta wears to the opera. Olympia Dukakis is brilliant as Rose, and for once, Nicolas Cage's overacting actually works for his character. I just wish more people knew what I was talking about when I yell for Chrissy to bring me the big knife.

5. Casablanca

It took me years to understand why Ilsa leaving with Victor was the right ending and I'm still not sure I completely agree. This movie's got it all - a great cast, great cinematography, great dialogue, and a great story. Even though you've heard the most famous lines thousands of times, they still work, and the expression on Rick's face while he stands on the train, looking for Ilsa and holding the rain-smeared letter, is a heart-wrencher.

On a different day, my top five might include Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, 12 Monkeys (I'm still trying to figure it all out, not to mention my favorite Brad Pitt role), or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Basically, sit me down in front of Turner Classic Movies and I'm probably content.

No comments: