Friday, June 10, 2011

I've let this lay unattended for far too long.

I had a great idea for a post a few days ago but completely failed to log in and post it, so I'm stuck with a question I stole from The AV Club: What is (are) your most re-read book(s)?

My first thougth is to be all, "Well, I've read Anna Karenina twice," which is true, but my memory is so bad that I doubt I could give you an outline of the important plot points. But I know I love reading it, and I wrote a paper on it in grad school that got a good grade, so.

My second thought is that it has to be Little Women, although I may be getting confused between how many times I've read it and how many times I've watched different versions of the movie. Despite never completely buying the way Laurie could just "Psych! I really love your little sister" like that; despite not understanding why a person would wear one glove and carry the other...time with the Marches is always warm and well spent.

Once I'd scanned the whole AV article (there were far too many words to read each one), yeah, that's pretty much gotta be it. The olde Hitchhiker's Guide. It never fails to make me laugh out loud, especially when I read the quotes I still use on a regular basis ("To summarize the summary of the summary, people are a problem").

I don't even remember why I first read THGTTG - I was never a science fiction kid despite a mom who watched Star Trek (TOS) compulsively. (Star Trek just got on my nerves: they left paradise three times? Whatever with them.) I know I was familiar with it when I was a freshman in high school (because of things that were happening in my life at the same time) but have no idea how it originally introduced itself to my consciousness. I only know that I'm SO grateful it did: not only did it give me credibility with my geekish techy friends, it gave me a witty comeback when people ask why I don't drink. "What's so horrible about being drunk? Have you ever asked a glass of water?"

No comments: