Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fuck you very much, Gretchen Rossi

I do it to myself, I know. No one comes to my house and turns on The Real Housewives of Anywhere - I'm the one who was looking for something to have playing as noise to fall asleep by. And it was Lost Footage! Wherein Gretchen confesses to having had a bulemia problem in high school/college. Cut to the reunion show couches and Andy asking follow-ups, including the $64 Billion question: What was your highest weight?

Gretchen "ummm"s for a second and then tries to buffer the blow with "I know this may not be high to a lot of people" and I'm expecting to hear 170 maybe, which is five pounds under what I weighed in January when I started my South Beach/calorie-counting campaign. No, not a lot for some people. Then she says "140", and my eyeballs start to bleed. 140 is ten pounds fewer than I weigh now after carrying on said campaign for five fucking months.

Alexis jumps to her defense - "And you're how tall? Five three?" and I don't even remember what the answer was. I just remember it not being sufficiently different from my height to justify thinking that 140 would look significantly larger on her frame.

It's not Gretchen's fault, really, that she thinks 140 is so disgustingly huge that she had to force herself to purge whatever she'd just eaten. Little girls and grown women are bombarded by messages telling us how we're supposed to look and what we need to change to achieve that look hundreds of times every day. It's my fault for expecting any kind of sane message from that source.

And if I choose to believe Andy Cohen asked that question to underscore how incredibly out-of-touch these people are, that's between me and me.

2 comments:

orangefarmer said...

So delightfully funny.

Erika said...

Ugh, I was so disgusted when I heard her say that weight too! That's my weight and I don't think I'm heavy. Is a size 6 fat these days? I was browsing online to see if there were any comments about it and I found your blog. Glad to have found it!