Tuesday, September 09, 2008

First thing in the morning is right out

It's amazing the difference a couple of hours can make.

I opened my email this morning (personal, of course, even though I was at work) and found five emails from one group of people about three things I needed to respond to and OMG. What the HELL, people? Angry me really doesn't even care about this and exhausted me is completely overwhelmed and somewhere from the back of my head sane me pipes up and suggests that I back away slowly from the email.

I spend the next few hours catching up on my web surfing, my caffeine, and my actual job for which they pay me to be here. I shopped a little, added my most recent paycheck to my checkbook balance, blah blah finances.

Interestingly enough, the next time I checked my email, there were a few almost reasonable requests, some of which I wouldn't even have to go ridiculously far out of my way to accommodate. I replied to each, even rambling on with some additional ideas of my own in one response.

I know that I am not a morning person. When I worked at the airport (pre-therapy, meds, and recovery), any attempt to speak to me before 10 AM was answered with a growl. This made the first 90 minutes of my coworkers' days oh so pleasant, I'm sure. These days (in addition to not having to be at work until 9:30 if it's really that bad) I can generally manage pleasantries and smiles (however painted on) first thing.

Sometimes, on the weekends or days when I don't have to go anywhere? I wake up and get out of bed BEFORE 8.

And yet, there are some things that are better suited to certain times of day than others. Clearly, my taking-stock-of-the-world-and-my-responsibilities-in-it time is not the morning.

Crazy person, know thyself. It is for the greater good of all of us.

No comments: